Friday, February 23, 2007

Saying Good-bye

As I write this, I have the ending theme from Wolf's Rain, Gravity, running through my head. For some reason, I feel it fits. I don't know why.

And I'm doing everything in my power not to cry right now. But it's tough. It's really, really tough.

It's with a heavy heart that I type this news:
Walker Edmiston, the voice of Inferno from The Transformers, has died.

To say that I am saddened is putting it mildly. Transformers was a huge part of my life when I was a kid; it made a huge impact on me. I emulated many of the Autobots and idolized them as heroes. A lot of my morals and values came from that simple little cartoon show. And hearing the news that we've lost another member of the cast is quite a blow to me.

I never had a chance to meet Mr. Edmiston. He never made an appearance at a BotCon. I never had a chance to get a G1 Inferno toy autographed by him, never had the chance to hear him tell any tales of doing voiceover work with the rest of the Transformers cast, never had a chance to tell him how much I appreciated the work he did. And that hurts. It really hurts.

I'll never be able to tell him in person, so I'll try to say it here: Farewell, Mr. Edmiston. Thank you for the work you did as Inferno. I wish I could have had the chance to meet you, to tell you how much I enjoyed your work. I'll miss you.

Been a long road to follow
Been there and gone tomorrow
Without saying goodbye to yesterday
Are the memories I hold still valid?
Or have the tears deluded them?

Maybe this time tomorrow
the rain will cease to follow
and the mist will fade into one more today
Cause the road keeps on telling me to go on...
Something is pulling me.
I feel the gravity of it all.

No comments: