Saturday, November 10, 2007

Put Down the Autobot, Asshole!

The guy on self check-out was acting very oddly.

As I stood at the pay station, keeping a watch on the self-check lanes he kept throwing glances in my direction, like he was hiding something. He had already scanned his first item, a pack of gum, and was getting ready to scan his second and final item: an Ultimate Bumblebee.

He repeatedly swiped the bar code over the scanning bed, still looking nervously at me. Suspicious, I kept my eyes on the pay station's screen. Imagine my surprise when I saw the "price" he was going to pay for that toy.- $5.92.

He had scanned it in as a journal.

"Oh hell no!" I thought, plastering on the biggest fake grin I possibly could. I hurriedly walked towards self check-out number 43, trying to keep my cool. In a pleasant voice, I said, "You know, that price doesn't seem right. The check-outs have been acting up off and on all day. Let me check that for you." I seized Bumblebee and trotted back to the pay station. Mr. Sticky-fingers followed. As quickly as I could, I tapped "Item Inquiry" button on the pay station's register and scanned Bumblebee's bar code. The real price popped up on the screen- $79.88.

"Oh, it's that much?" Mr. Sticky-fingers spluttered. "If it's that expensive, I don't want it."

"Sure," I said, smiling pleasantly. "I can put him back for you." Jerk, I thought, wanting nothing more than to slap the wanna-be thief. As I placed the now rescued Ultimate Bumblebee by the register at the pay station, Mr. Sticky-fingers paid for his gum and left. He couldn't walk out of the store fast enough.

Bumblebee stayed under my watchful eyes for the rest of the night. I kept that box as close to me as possible and whenever I left the pay station, I kept my eyes on him. No one was going to walk off with that toy without a fight. I would make damn sure of it. When it was time for me to go home, I gently cradled the rescued Autobot and carefully walked him up the Service Desk. After tucking him into the Toy returns cart, I told one of the head cashiers what happened. "Nice save!" she said, grinning.

"What's going on?" asked one of the other cashiers, who happens to be a friend of mine. I told her. "Go, you!" she exclaimed as she gave me a high five. "I knew if someone tried to steal a Bumblebee, you'd stop them!"

I walked out of work with a huge smile on my face. It was a good night.

Moral of the story: Never fuck with this female's favorite Autobot, or you will go down. She'll make damn sure of it.

Unsure where I got the pic above. If I can find the original link, I'll give credit.

2 comments:

Evil King Macrocranios said...

This has pissed me off to no end and I wonder what exactly does it take to merit getting banned from a store for life. Do you have to rape cashiers? My wife and I have been arguing about whether or not this is an arrestable offense. I say he was obviously trying to steal! Where are the cops? What pisses me off is that he's probably done it before and will do it again. Hopefully he'll keep getting away with crap like this until the day he gets gunned down in a hail of bullets for pulling something like this in a pawn shop.

Weasel said...

Only Primus knows what the hell it takes to get banned from a store. I swear to God, most managers are so damned scared of pissing off the customer that they would rather take the frigging loss than piss off a thief. It makes me wanna steal energy and destroy.

Hopefully he'll keep getting away with crap like this until the day he gets gunned down in a hail of bullets for pulling something like this in a pawn shop.

You sir, are quite evil.
That must be why I like you. :)