Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Things I Learned at BotCon Part 1

-People in Texas have no clue how to drive.

-Cross country roadtrips are a lot of fun.

-No matter where you go, there you are. And so is the local Walmart.

-There is no sleeping during a convention. Eating is optional, too.

-Baseball players can be tempermental. Just ask the pipes that run near the dugout in the Rangers' ballpark.

-Cowby Stadium is freaking huge.

-The best way to make a new friend is to crack a joke.

-The best way to greet an old friend is with a hug.

-Manischewitz tastes a lot better than I remember. Also...

-I can't hold my alcohol well. Total lightweight over here!

-The book depository still exists and it has a museum. I didn't go in, as the entire building had an aura of heartbreak around it. I'm not kidding. I simply walked near that building and could feel an awful wave of sadness washing over me.

-Action Figure Therapy is completely screwed up yet utterly hilarious. You are warned: it's also very NSFW!

-By the time you have your route to and from the 'Con memorized, it's time to go back home.

-Garry Chalk has seen some of his former Stargate SG-1 castmates at conventions.

-David Kaye wished that the Brewers had gone farther in the series last year, as he hates the Cardinals. David Kaye is basically awesome.

-Peter Cullen has a tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve at BotCon.

-If you're not careful, sitting in on Mr. Cullen's panel can cause watering of the eyes. I teared up quite a few times; not a joke.

-Dan Gilvezan is quite the smart aleck. That is one of the many and sundry reasons that he is freaking amazingly awesome.

-Buster Jones is quite the snazzy dresser, not to mention a very sweet soul.

-When I'm hungry, I can pack away cheesecake like there's no tomorrow.

-I am a complete failure at building an action figure, but I love cleaning up the mess that's left behind. I am basically very odd.

-In the 80s, Dan Gilvezan used to buy Bumblebees and give them to kids. He now wishes he had kept at least one of them. I wish I had been one of those lucky kids getting a Bumblebee from Bumblebee...!

-Bingo is a lot of fun. More so than gambling.

-The best conversations happen in the Dealer Room or the Autograph Line.

-All a hotel really needs is a decent bed and wi-fi and I'm happy.

-The Convention is life. No exceptions.

-It's always over too soon.

-Next year can't come soon enough.

-Washing post-convention laundry is depressing.

-But packing for the next con is tons of fun.

And lastly,

-No matter what happens, I'll be there next year. Believe it.

2 comments:

Kraneia said...

Glad you had an awesome time.... I've never been to a big one, large crowds of people make me twitch. ;)

Funny you mention hot wheels. There's an old man who comes in every morning, asking if we have any new ones. I don't mind him too much..... At least he's polite. ;)

Or maybe he reminds me too much of Charles, who used to be out driving at 3 am to catch the walmart trucks as they unloaded.... LOL

Of course Cullen wears his heart on his sleeve--they all do. They're a different breed of voice actor, you know.... ;) Not like some of the crappy ones they use today.

Weasel said...

I think it hit Mr. Cullen just how much we adored him in 2004: he got a standing ovatioon. The look on his face? The man was close to tears. But he's a true sweetheart and I'm not saying that simply because he gave me a friendly arm squeeze in '09. :)