Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Scratching Out a Trade

I admit it; I'm addicted to GTS.

I love hitting Jubilife City, hopping on the GTS, and seeing what Pokémon are up for trade. You can find some pretty decent trades there, with a little luck. Last night was no exception.

For reasons unknown, I was checking out the Charmander offerings. One in particular caught my eye: a level 1 shiny male, being offered for a level 9 and under female Milotic. My heart skipped three beats. I had just bred my female Milotic the day before and had two level 1 female Feebases. If I could hurry, I figured I might be able to make it.

I jumped off GTS and hit my PC. I grabbed the first female Feebas I saw, my level 1 Chihiro and quickly saved. I had a few Dry Poffins in my Poffin Case, so I tried to level up Chihiro's Beauty right then and there. It didn't work; I was a few Poffins short of a Milotic. I soft-reset and after letting the game reload, I hit Hearthome.

I ran to the Poffin house and began making Poffins. Prime was already trying to doze off for the night, so I'm surprised he didn't tell me to keep it down since making Poffins requires you to "stir" the batter using your stylus on the DS's touchscreen. I scratched out six more Poffins, fed my Feebas every Dry Poffin in my case, tossed her a Rare Candy and waited. She leveled up....
and evolved.

I raced back to Jubilife and got back on GTS. I started searching for any male Charmander level 9 and under. Within a few moments, I found him: the level 1 shiny Charmander.

My heart was pounding when I chose "Trade for this Pokémon?". My heart then promptly rose into my throat when I saw the "Checking GTS Status" message. I've been screwed over a few times during that status check; I've gotten an error message, then booted back to the reception counter. By the time I can get back on, the Pokémon I wanted was traded away. You have no idea how badly that pisses me off. I was fearing it might happen again.

It didn't. The trade went through.
I now have a shiny Charmander.

My only complaint is I can't nickname him, but that's a small nitpick. I can hardly wait to level him up; shiny Charizard looks totally awesome.

I am the world's dorkiest dork.

-Weasel, "Hey Nintendo? Have ya considered making another Pokémon Box game? I'm runnin' outta room here!"

No comments: