Saturday, October 10, 2009

Because I Owe Him This Much

Eleven years ago, someone saved my life. And he wasn't a human. He was a Maximal.

His name was Depth Charge. And this is our story.

Back in late August of 1998, I saw my friend (3) for the last time. At the time, I had no idea that I would never see him again. If I had known, I would have done things quite differently. But that is beside the point.

(3) visited me at the doughnut shop where I worked. He told me something extremely distressing: (1), my then paramour, was no longer speaking to him. This was right after we had been hit by Hurricane Bonnie.

(3) had no idea what was going on. Neither did I.

I was confused, to put it mildly. (1) and (3) had been friends for nearly a decade; why would anyone want to throw that sort of friendship away? It made no sense to me. My curiosity got the better of me and the next day I called (1) under the guise of my usual post-hurricane check up. I asked him how things were going and if he was okay. He said yes, but curtly. I asked if he had spoken to (3) and he replied no. I asked why. The answer shocked me.

"Because he's an asshole."

My heart dropped to my knees. The last time I had heard (1) utter this sentence, he had been referring to (4) and they had stopped speaking months ago.

I knew exactly where this was going--I already knew the next act in this hideous play. (1) would begin to blame (3) for all of his problems then shut him out of his life, all the while complaining how (3) was alienating him. It was a sick, twisted fantasy that I had dealt with for over ten months: I myself had been blamed by (1) for his failings. What made that worse was the fact that most of my former friends had taken (1)'s side. It seemed as though (4) were the only human being who gave a damn about me.

Most of my former friends didn't like (4), for whatever reason. At that point, I was past caring what they thought. They didn't seem to care about me anyway.

My life had been spiralling out of control since the end of October '97 and this was the final blow. I had been fighting depression for many weeks but on that day, I laid down arms. The depression won. I had no desire to go on with my pathetic excuse for a life.

I no longer lived, I merely existed. My life had fallen into a pathetic routine of eating, sleeping and working. I cared about nothing and truly believed that no one cared about me. I was worthless, the scum of the earth--how could I not be? I had driven the one boy who cared about me into the arms of another girl. Of course, I had never forced him to cheat but it was my fault all the same. I was little more than a waste of flesh. How dare I draw breath?

I spent a number of nights lying in bed and staring at the ceiling, fighting the tears. I was not worth shedding tears over. I was nothing. I was scum. I deserved no one's pity, especially not my own.

I hated myself.

The days turned into weeks, the weeks into months. Autumn came and the threat of hurricanes faded. One bright fall day, I decided I needed to get out of the house for a few hours so I went for a ride. I hit my local Toys R Us, KMart, Target. Then I headed to Wal-Mart.

I spotted him, sitting on one of the shelves in toys: Depth Charge. He was gorgeous. Since I had just been paid, I bought him. Satisfied, I took him home.

For two weeks, he sat in my bedroom, unopened. I have no idea why I didn't open him immediately; I only know I just didn't. But one crisp October evening, I decided to take him out of his box. Grabbing a pair of scissors from my kitchen, I began to slice into the tape.

"Let's get you out of this little prison," I said softly.

One moment later, I froze.

I was just as much a prisoner as Depth Charge, only I had locked myself into a prison of my own making. But unlike Depth Charge, no one was going to come around and let me out. I had to do it on my own.

It was enough of a jolt to find urge me into action.

I actually began to go out again. Instead of sitting at home brooding, I went out and tried to live--I went out looking for new Transformers again. Since I had no way of getting on the internet at home, I asked my parents for a computer for Christmas. In other words, I started to reclaim my life.

It wasn't easy. It took many months and quite a few "baby steps" to actually get back to a semi-normal life. But I owe everything to a Transformer. If it weren't for Depth Charge and one simple, throw away comment I may have never gotten over those feelings of worthlessness.

Being a Transformer geek saved my life. Having this hobby helped me to get over one of the worst times in my life. And I've never been happier.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. After the volatile years of '05-'06 & having what I call "The fall from grace" happen from some of my very folk and moving away to be own once again, my life has been put to the ultimate test. No one ever said the truth is always pretty, but it's better to know that rather than being strung along & used for someone else's worth.

That's why since BC '07, my Japanese Pepsi Convoy that I got in Providence, RI that year has stood guard from my bookshelf, as a sentinel & reminder that to live life on your own terms, not others'. As well as support those people who really do care about you.

Optimus Prime's persona, whether from the 1984 G1 cartoon or the 20-oh-9 Revenge of the Fallen movie, empowers and emboldens me. The same can be said of the Autobots and Maximals. Is it any wonder the G1 Autobot insignia is tattooed on my right arm? It keeps me in check to remind me to NEVER cross over to the dark side, no matter what BS life might throw my way...

~daiAtlas

Weasel said...

Heh heh. First off, Prime says "Tell that goober he can start saying 'twenty-whatever' next year--right now, he should say 'two thousand nine' like a normal person and he'd better damn well like it or I'll lock him in a room with Charles Osgood and they can amuse each other with 'twenty-oh-blarg' stories until they both expire from starvation, boredom, or whiffle-bat injuries, whichever comes first. In short, OH IS NOT A ZERO!"

I'm...fairly certain he's joking. Well, not about the last sentence, anyway...and if he isn't I'll smack him.

More from me in a bit--my back is killing me for some reason...

Weasel said...

Okay, now that I'm not in total agony I think I can be a bit more coherent. Or I can at least try.

Honestly, if it hadn't been for this hobby I don't know how in the hell I would have coped. I have often referred to that time period (October 1997 to November 1998) as "The Year of Hell" because that was what I lived through. When he cheated my life fell apart. When I tried to forgive him, it only got worse. It didn't help that everyone thought this was somehow my fault, that they turned their backs on me. I had never felt so alone.

Depth Charge got me out of that hole and began to pull me away from the brink. If I hadn't bought him, I shudder to think how things would have turned out. I really owe a lot to that Beast Warrior.

Anonymous said...

So spelling it out worked in getting him to say it, eh? =)

~daiAtlas