Wednesday, March 17, 2010

...and nothing of value was lost...

Today was not a good day.

To be perfectly blunt, I should be writing a five page rant here, screaming and yelling about just how screwed up my job really is and just how much I fucking hate it.

But I won't. I feel absolutely no need.

So what happened today? Oh, nothing much--I found out that I had inadvertently taken several fraudulent coupons. (What should have pissed me off about that? They all scanned and it has been drilled into our heads that if they scan, we can take them. Guess not.) On top of that, one of the heads proceeded to bitch me out because she swore that I came back from my last break late. (Why should that have pissed me off? I got to the break room at three minutes past four. I got back to the front at 4:19. That's 16 minutes, not twenty-two. Somebody fails at math. Hard.)

Three days ago, I'd be pissed off beyond all words in the known English language. But as I type this right now, I feel nothing. No anger, no frustration, no nothing. Why? Because I figure it doesn't really matter anymore. I can't force myself to give a royal shit about that job. It's nothing. All it does is provide a paycheck that helps pay my bills. It is nothing to me. It holds no meaning, save for the money.

What I truly live for, what I truly do, what actually holds meaning to me, I do at home.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to put on some mood music (Joe Hisaishi, natch) and add a few more words to that story of mine. Even if all I do is a quick edit, I'll actually accomplish something worthwhile today... unlike the eight hours I spent behind a register doing absolutely nothing of consequence.

--Weasel, "I've gone from hating my job to total apathy. I don't know if that's awesome or not."

3 comments:

Kraneia said...

HELLO?!


Yeah, work sucks.

You think Walmart is bad, work for Corning... did that for four years.... finally quit. It was that or get fired...

I'm guessing you either don't check your yahoo mail any more, or you just aren't interested...

>ahem<
Alice? Remember?

Weasel said...

Aw, crap! You commented the other night didn't you? :headkeyboard: Yahoo hates me. (Why do my "You got a comment" and other important emails go straight to the spam folder? Crud. It ain't personal, trust me. And I thought AOhelL sucked.)

And I always thought Corning was supposed to be a good place to work. At least that's what I had heard. Huh, guess not. =/

Anywaaaaaay, yeah. My job is ass. But I can't get pissed about it anymore. It's like it's not a huge thing in the cosmic scheme. I used to get so frustrated (we're heading towards "the store of the future" or some such horse manure) but now I don't friggin' care. The last time I felt like this was back in the 90s and I had taken some kava kava. The lack of giving a crap scared the slag outta me. If this is what SSRIs feel like, I don't want them. Sheesh.

Just as long as I don't completely go House on somebody and call 'em a moron, I'm good.

Oh yeah, Prime did tell me that you were losing your job, DA. I kinda had a mini-freak out in the car. I'd hug ya, but I'm here in WI...

Anonymous said...

Today was quite possibly the worst day I have ever had at my job and I've been there some 14 years. I didn't know whether to throw up in a trashcan or burst into tears.

Ultimately good things will come out it (like revising how I run my little corner of hell), but I was beaten to a pulp by day's end.