Wednesday, September 08, 2010

For Whom the (Hell's) Bell Tolls

(Click the title for musical accompaniment.)

Last night, Prime and I went to our (probable) last Brewers game of the season.

What a night it was. My arms are still sore from clapping and I'm very hoarse. I've been coughing ever since I got up this morning. I can barely speak because I screamed so much last night. But it was worth it. It was totally worth it.

We got to beautiful Miller Park about half an hour before game start. First thing we did was hit the Team Store. You think I kid, but I could spend a serious boatload of money in there. I first settled on a Trevor Hoffman bobble head, but then switched for a pair of smaller ones that Prime spotted. These were of Hoffman and Prince Fielder. I thought, Two for the price of one. Why the hell not? Ran us $21, which is the least I've ever spent there. I do not joke. Next time, I'm getting that Brewers necklace they have. I will wear it every day. And I'll get a watch to go with it.

Prime grabbed us some food while I ran and hit the ladies room. While in there I heard the announcement of the on-field umpires. I groaned out loud when I heard the name Tim Timmons. Prime's seen him call games and he always manages to blow at least one call. And act like a rampaging douche.

We had no idea, though that the umps on the field happened to be the Summer's Eve Team: For your maximum amount of Douche! Good lord, I have never seen such douche-baggy behavior in my frickin' life. Seriously, the whole lot of 'em needed a smack upside the head.

Thankfully, I won't be remembering the game for that.

Narveson pitched for most of the game, then Villanueva came in later. After Villanueva, it was Axford. At this point, quite a few people decided to leave. Bad idea, but I digress.

Prime figured that since Axford was in (it was the eighth inning, after all) and the Brewers were ahead by two that we weren't going to be hearing "Hell's Bells" in the Park that night. Kinda depressing but I figured I'd just catch Hoffman's 600th save on TV.

Then someone behind me said, "Is that Hoffman warming up in the bullpen?"

I caught myself saying, "Dude, don't even. Because if it isn't him I'm gonna get upset." Prime, who was taking pictures of the game turned and looked at me. He spoke two words and pointed to the scoreboard. "It's him."

On a corner of the scoreboard it read--Brewers Bullpen: Hoffman.

I let loose a yelp. We'd be hearing "Hell's Bells" and I might get lucky enough to see number 600.

When the eighth inning ended, nearly everyone started getting to their feet. Then both the Jumbotron and the scoreboard went dark. All of Miller Park erupted in cheering. Several seconds later came the familiar clang of the bell.

It was Trevor Time in Miller Park.

I was standing up and screaming as loudly as I could. The entire stadium was filled with cheering, screaming fans. We wanted number six hundred. We were hyped and yelling.

At first it looked a little dark; Rasmus got on base but Winn hit a grounder that resulted in a nice double-play. That brought Miles, a pinch-hitter to the plate. He got a full count, then Miles sent a ground ball to Counsell who fired the ball to Fielder for the last out.

Trevor threw his hands in the air. The Brewers in the dugout swarmed the mound while the pitchers came screaming out of the bullpen to do the same, hugging him and slapping him on the back. "Hell's Bells" rang through Miller Park and 30,000 plus fans were screaming in hysteria. I was yelling, clapping, almost crying and all but dancing where I stood. It was truly an awesome night.

Truth be told, I'm getting a little choked up now, just remembering it.

Prime and I stayed after the initial celebration. We were able to watch (and Prime recorded) the interview that Hoffman gave after this most historic game. Man-oh-man, did we ever pick the right game to attend--it could have just as easily been the other BP C'mon Back Club game in this series that we redeemed at the Miller Park ticket office after BotCon.

To Trevor Hoffman, I extend my congratulations. You pitched a helluva save and I'm damn glad I was in the Park that night, able to see history in the making.

To Prime, I say thanks. For getting us to the game, for letting me run around the Team Store and grab souvenirs but mostly I thank you for getting me involved in this. Never thought I'd be a baseball fan. But I am now and I love every second of it, just like I love you.

To the nuts who left during the seventh inning and afterward, I simply say: Maybe next time you'll stay for the whole game cause you poor nits really missed out! (Sucks to be you guys, don't it?)

--Weasel, who'd love to see Hoffy get number 700 in a Brewers uniform and be there in the Park to see it happen...

No comments: