Saturday, July 12, 2008

Nothing Important Happened Today...

Saw WALL*E last night. If you get a chance, I urge you to go. It's a great movie. Turned out to be the only really good thing that happened in the last 24 hours. I had been trying to get Prime to go since the commercials began airing, and he wasn't interested. Opening night came and he was still stuck in NO mode. My pestering obviously paid off. He liked it, and boy, did he fume about it. HA!!

Today wasn't a great day at work.
We've had firings. A massive outbreak of firings.

It seems that management has terminated quite a number of Overnight associates. Their reason is simple: It's just after inventory and we had "too many employees".

I also heard about two other firings; unfortunately, I knew these people.
One was an associate who worked in Electronics. It seems Dominic was fired because one of the managers found broken glass on shelving in his area and fired him for it. Helluva reason to get canned, I tell you.

Susie Q was the other. She was a cashier, but transferred to our Tire and Lube area. She was supposedly let go for backing a car out of the garage area and hitting a lightpole. The car was undamaged, so she didn't file an accident report. And management termed her for it. The problem is, this doesn't sound like her at all; she's a "safety first" type. I wish like hell I could get her side of the story, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

All this comes on the heels of one of our "Associate Involvement" meetings. These are meetings that the store manager has held to try and get associates involved in reducing the amount of turnover and improving store morale. I can tell you one thing: horseshit like this does nothing for employee morale. In fact, after a while, we just stop giving a shit.

And I quit giving a shit a very long ago.


Pic from GraphJam.

No comments: