Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tarzan Boy

It was noon. I was standing at the grocery self-check podium, carefully watching "my guys". From out of nowhere came the rhythmic thumping of sneakers on concrete. Two boys, maybe high school juniors, were running straight toward me. Curious, I watched as they sped from the general merchandise side of the store towards the grocery side. Then I noticed two other boys, running in front of the registers. It was then that I couldn't help but do a double take.

Three of the boys were dressed normally. The fourth was only wearing his briefs and had what appeared to be an animal skin tied around his head like a cape. He looked as though he were trying to mimic Tarzan or George of the Jungle.

The entire front end fell silent and watched the spectacle, too stunned to turn away. I admit my mouth was hanging open in shock for a fair portion of the episode.

Without saying a word, the boys raced out the door. Once they had departed, everyone roared with laughter, myself included.

We're still not sure why Tarzan Boy decided to drop by our store. If he was planning a Halloween prank, he missed the mark by a day. The entire incident (almost) makes me miss the days when I was that young and stupid.

--Weasel, "Never a dull moment where I work."

2 comments:

The Culture Ghost said...

blast from my past: when i was 13 a friend and i "streaked" through the lobby of a suburban atlanta holiday inn...

yes, i miss being carefree and foolish to do such things...adulthood can be so damn serious...

Weasel said...

I will admit, that kid has more guts than I. I don't think I would be able to "streak" like he did. I wish I were that carefree.

It did break up the day's monotony, which was a good thing.