Saturday, January 08, 2011

"Have no fear! Once again I will save the day!"

Not anymore. (sigh) Somewhere out there, a squad of Autobots is missing its Lieutenant Commander.

Aron Kincaid, the voice behind Generation One's mighty and sophisticated Sky Lynx, has passed away. My heart and the heart of every oldschool TransFan goes out to his family and friends. The man played probably the most magnificent bastard of a Cybertronian ever, a character who did everything big and with grand showmanship--and had no problem making sure that you knew it.

Prime picked up an Encore-series reissue of the Sky Lynx toy ('reissue' being a bit of a misnomer to Japan collectors, who didn't get the toy back in the 80s) at some past convention. It was well within sight when Prime told me the news last night. I think I hugged that toy for a good hour, trying not to cry.

Some days, I think I ought to just say 'screw it' and see about moving to the L.A. area, else I'm never going to meet very many more of the people who helped, in ways large or small, to shape my childhood. (I have to face it, as great as BotCon is, the people behind it have a time of it in trying to get new guests. Seems like even holding it in Pasadena only imparts a bit more leeway.)

Wonder what Prime would say about such a move. Probably, the phrase 'I don't think so', in his best Rhinox voice, would be used...

--Weasel, "We miss you, Commander Modesty." (/sad grin)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It happens, sadly enough. All one's heroes and influences eventually die. But keeping their names alive and their work in the now is what is left to us. I think all the major influences on my life and art are dead now (Zappa, Kubrick, the Dadaists, the Situationists International...hell, Captain Beefheart just died a few weeks ago).
Be grateful they lived to produce the body of work you so enjoy.

Anonymous said...

As I told 3H back in BC '00, "they're (voice actors) dying on us."

Convincing voice actors to appear at Botcon seems to be a Herculean effort. I'm glad that just this past summer we all met Paul Eiding (Percy, err...Perceptor per the TF club magazine;). May many more attend in the years to come.

~daiAtlas

Kraneia said...

Out west, you wouldn't have to worry about the snow. But there's plenty of Earthquakes....You'd be trading one pain for another.

......Plus, the Big One™ is LONG overdue out there.

........We're supposed to be getting more ice and snow this evening into tomorrow. I think I'll send it your way. ]wink[

Anyhoo.... Do Autobots dream of electric Sheep? They never die....they just park it out in that RV lot in da sky... ;)

Aye,
Scratch

Weasel said...

CG, I think the most painful thing is not being to thank him for what he did. That simple kid's cartoon was such a huge influence on me and I can't say thank you to someone who shaped my childhood. It doesn't help that the memories I have of Mr. Kincaid are among some of those that I actually consider "true" memories. What my mother told me in November cast a huge cloud over my childhood; the ones I forged on my own are among those that I don't suspect as being tainted. It's... complicated. Trust me.

DA, I tell you, it's outright heartbreaking. I'm seeing my past die and there's slag all I can do to stop it. All I want is the chance to say thanks and fate seems to be against me.

Scratch, if I'm lucky, I'll see him in the Well of Allsparks. IF I'm lucky...

Evil King Macrocranios said...

Man, when I was a kid "Thief in the Night " was one of my all time favorite episodes and I loved Sky Lynx in that although he only had a few lines. I will always remember "I AM DEFINITELY NOT A DINOBOT!", but mostly because of how he delivered it.

Weasel said...

Sky Lynx was one of the bright spots for me in season three. I truly will miss Mr. Kincaid and regret I won't have the chance to thank him.