Tuesday, July 12, 2005

America's Latest Addiction: Celebrity "News"

I was reading the local newspaper yesterday and an op-ed article caught my eye; it was written by Rich Lowry. Usually, I don't read his articles: he and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of subjects. But once in a great while, he'll hit the nail squarely on the head. This was one of those times.

His column detailed the degrees of obsession that most "magazines" (and I use that term very loosely here) have toward celebrities, namely their break-ups, make-ups, weight gains/losses and asked what this unhealthy fixation says about the United States. Mr. Lowry, I can tell you, it doesn't say much about us.

I work as a cashier and take notice of just which magazines make their ways through my check-out lane. What I see on a daily basis makes me want to cry. The most popular magazines that I sell, in no particular order are:

US Weekly
In Touch Weekly
Life and Style Weekly
People

and Star "Magazine".

Everyone one of these publications happen to be celebrity heavy. One happens to be a former tabloid with a major face lift. There is little to no real news in them, save People. Nearly everyone of them is splattered with celebrity photos and scream with "headlines" asking who will break up, how s/he lost weight, should they get married, etc.

And people lap up this tripe with an amazing appetite.

Mention "Paris" and most will say, "Is she married yet?" Mention "Darfur" and the response you'll get is, "Huh?" (Don't know what Darfur is? Google it.) The bombings in London have all but been forgotten; everyone is wondering what Tomkat will do next. The American public is more interested in Lindsay Lohan's weight than what's happening on Capital Hill. Most people follow the ups and downs of Brad, Jennifer and Angelina. They don't want to follow the ups and downs of Fallujah, Tikrit and Baghdad.

It makes America look shallow and superficial, which is how some view us. After all, we are what we read.

--Weasel

To read Mr. Lowry's piece, point your browser here:
http://www.nationalreview.com/lowry/lowry200507050821.asp

No comments: