Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Dairycon Update Part 2

When we last left off yesterday, it was almost time for the "Name that Transformer" contest. By the time I got back to the convention room, we were about five minutes from starting. "Name that Transformer" is a 20-questions-type game; we (the convention goers) have to ask the emcee yes-or-no questions in order to get clues. Guessing correctly won you a Dairycon program guide, which contained raffle tickets. Prime was on a tear yesterday and won three times. Pretty darned awesome. ("Fat lotta good it did", Prime sez.)

After that, we had the Jumpstarter Rally. Prime and I were in the same heat.... and I won! I went on to the semi-finals, but didn't make it to the finals. Oh well. Crow was the over-all winner after the most epic finals I've ever seen. (The final heat had to be run three times; the Jumpstarters kept leaping over the end of the table.)

After a short break and more wheeling & dealing, the "Assemble Your Own Transformer" event got under way. Only this year, instead of assembling a TF, the contestants had to identify parts. That was evil Fred, very, very evil! Prime didn't win; it went to Joe.

More wheeling. more dealing and even more fun ensued. Prime made a few more purchases and we managed to sell a few more things from our table. But Dairycon was beginning to wind down.

This year, we actually had an organiser's panel of sorts where questions were asked and sometimes answered. Afterwards, we had the annual spinning of the big wheel. Prime actually won an exclusive...cowbell. ("Shee-eeesh.") Not long after, the raffle and auction were held; we didn't win anything during the raffle and the auction, as usual, came down to Prime and Bill of JRS Toyworld, who brought it up to $285 for A.S.S.-09, ToiletBot, Pretender Motormaster, and various-and-sundry other items before Prime let his semblance of common sense take over (he could've gone higher, but had reasons beyond not wanting to spend that much). Maybe next year, if we're lucky. Bill and Prime both do it because they know a fair amount of money gets spent to put the event on every year, and not all of it gets made back. It's entertaining, too, to watch the back-and-forth bidding, and Prime knows it.

So eventually, the process of packing up began and then everybody who wished to do so headed out to the local Old Country Buffet for the annual "Eating by the Geeks". But something totally awesome happened to me and Prime as we were driving away from the hotel.

As we started down the street, I noticed a car that was trying to parallel park just a little bit down the street. As I looked at its back end, I couldn't help but think it looked weirdly familiar. Then we passed it. I nearly freaked out when I realised what it was.

A red Camaro. A red 2010 Camaro. As in, pretty damn close to movie Cliffjumper. Oh yeah, there was much freaking out. (Thank Primus it wasn't yellow.)

Prime circled the block for me and I was able to get a bit of video of it. (I'll try and post it later.) After that, we were on our way.

We ate, drank and were merry. I haven't had such a great time in weeks. Seriously, I really needed this. After a few hours, our party went about its separate ways. But I had a great time, a really great time. I can barely wait until next year.

2 comments:

Evil King Macrocranios said...

One of my favorite memories of going to Botcon 2007 was riding with Fred and Mike and playing that game in the car on the trip from Milwaukee to wherever it was. You never realize how much fun it is until you have a couple hundred miles and nothing to do.

Weasel said...

Yeah, you can listen to talk radio for only so long before you lose your mind. :)

Now, if I can just keep it together until BotCon I'll be doing good.