Sunday, June 05, 2011

Cockblocked

Today, the general public was allowed to attend our festivities. We had quite a few people show up and it got pretty crowded in the Convention center. But that didn't matter to me; I was having way too much fun.

Prime and I got up and dressed at around 7:30 this morning. After we were ready, we, along with DA headed out to the bus stop and hit the road. When we got to the festivities, we split up; Prime hit the Dealer Room while I scoped out the autograph line.

There were already people lining up for Peter Cullen, even though he wasn't going to start signing until 2PM. Yes, he is quite loved by the fandom. Trust me when I say this.

However, the lining up was all for naught; no one would be allowed to line up until 1PM. So, I headed into the panel room and took in the last little bit of the TF comic panel. Since I wouldn't be able to get in line anytime soon, I stuck around for a couple of panels.

The first I sat through was the Hasbro toy panel. Lots of good reveals and lots of screaming from my wallet. I will be so broke this summer it isn't even funny. And it won't let up through the fall and winter--in December we get our first TF: Prime toys.

After that panel was done, I slipped out the room and got a call from Prime. Everyone was lining up for the live script reading, so I jumped in as well. That was a panel that I was glad I didn't miss.

We had a bunch of the cast from TF: Prime, including all three of the kids, Steve Blum, Peter Cullen, and Ernie Hudson. They were reading an episode that had already aired, but it was fun to watch.

The cast kept it really lighthearted; there were several Ghostbusters references made that had Ernie Hudson cracking up laughing. We, the audience ate them up as well. Honestly, I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long while. Once the reading was done, there were a few questions from the audience and something amazing happened.

Josh Keaton mentioned that he wanted to hit the Dealer room and grab a G1 Optimus Prime. Seems he's a Transfan as well. So, out of the blue, a few of the fans gave Josh a Japanese G1 Optimus Prime re-issue... which Peter Cullen signed right then and there. A really heartwarming moment. I'm still smiling just thinking about it.

Once the audience questions were done, they showed an ep of TF: Prime but I slipped out and hit the autograph line. I was hoping to get a signature from all the cast members but it didn't really turn out that way. But I can't really complain about that. Here's why.

The first line was for Steve Blum. The line was incredibly long and there were quite a few fangirls hanging out in it. Seems Steve's a hit with the fangirls. But I can see why. When I got to the front of the line and got my BC11 comic autographed, I noticed the tee shirt Steve was wearing. It was a grey shirt that said, "Chicks dig giant robots." When I read that, "Oh man, I love your shirt! That show was awesome!" To which Steve replied, "You remember it?!" I said yes, I did and I got all the jokes in it. It was one of my favorite shows.

Here's where it gets awesome. Steve Blum got out of his seat and hugged me. I got hugged by Steve Blum! Somewhere, some poor fangirl is screaming in rage because of this. XD

Once I had gotten Steve's autograph, I tried to hit one of the other lines. Most of the others were already capped, but I got very lucky and was able to get in line for Andy Pessoa, the voice of Raf. Raf's my favorite kid from the show, so I had to get his autograph. I'm glad I did. I don't think he was getting a lot of love from the fans and that's not fair. Raf is freaking awesome.

Afterward, I caught up with Prime and DA in the panel room and took in a couple of panels. These were the Club Roundtable and the G1 voice actors' panel. I enjoyed both, but took a lot of what the VAs were saying about breaking into voice acting to heart. I'm not trying for that field, but I am trying to get a book published, so a lot of what they said stayed with me. I just have to remember it.

Once the VA panel was done, the show was over for the day, so we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the Hall of Fame presentation. Once ready, we went back to the Auditorium to take in the awesome.

We got to see a nice long sneak peak of Transformers: Dark of the Moon; it looks freaking amazing. I just hope there's enough comedy to take the edge off; at a couple of points I felt a bit like screaming.

One of the human inductees made it to the event and it was Michael Bay. I gotta respect the guy now; he mentioned that Bumblebee was one of the most sympathetic characters in the movies. Mr. Bay, you are the man.

We watched the various videos for the Transformer inductees and we were treated to videos of the fan choice 'bots. There were cheers for everyone else, but not many for Erector.(Gee, I wonder why... *coughcoughDICKJOKEcoughwheezeSTUPIDASHELL*) Then the winner was announced.

WASPINATOR!

The "Erector set" got fucking cockblocked and I for one am damn glad. (Aaron Archer himself said he hoped they wouldn't have to put together another video like the one for Erector. Hint, hint, you morons: the joke wasn't fucking funny so don't fucking do it again. Get it?) After the ceremony and the rejoicing, we headed back to the hotel.

Sunday's the last day. It's going to be hard, but I'm going to enjoy it as best as I can. But really, I don't want to come down form this. It's been far too great.

--Weasel

4 comments:

Evil King Macrocranios said...

So you guys took the bus to the convention center? Does that mean you didn't stay at the Sheraton?

That was the best lowdown of the script reading I've read anywhere!

Man voice actors get around. Blum and Hudson were just in Florida a few weeks ago. I can't imagine how fun it must be to have a job that takes you all over the US where you get to stay in nice hotels and hug women a lot.

Weasel said...

Prime and I are in the Pasadena Travelodge this year. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we had to cancel at the Sheraton and stay here. It's fine with me; the hotel doesn't matter in the end. Getting to the 'Con does.

The script reading was amazing. I was howling with laughter at the uses of "crossing the streams" and it was hilarious to hear Ernie Hudson say that he wasn't with the government, he was with... Ghostbusters. Nerds howled that day and I was among them.

I was shocked that I got hugged by Steve Blum. Not a lot of people remember Megas XLR and I think it surprised him a little. As I said to Prime, "There is probably a fangirl out shitting her pants over this!"

Anonymous said...

After getting little sleep last night, I knew we'd need those Frappucinos from Starbucks.:)

The TF: Prime cast script reading was fun indeed, especially Ernie Hudson's reference to Ghostbusters. He brought down the house with that one!

The Hall Of Fame event felt Academy Awards-esque to me, but for Transfans. Peter Cullen always keeps getting love from all us fans. I love the fact Steven Spielberg was considerate enough to send us a video greeting. Watching TF3 with my Prime mask was very intense. And while I had chosen Grimlock to be the inductee, I was astounded when Waspinator won. He deserved it.

While the Erector tribute was funny, i had trouble making up my mind if Hasbro was serious about that or not. Good thing Aaron Archer clarified it later.:)

We're all having too much fun for our own good. Again, I feel privileged to be part of this convention/event. Being a Transfan has its perks, like the company I keep year after year.:)

~daiAtlas

Weasel said...

I'm really hoping the fandom gets the hint and won't try and pull a second stunt similar to Erector. Aaron Archer said outright that they didn't want to have to do something like that again; I really hope it sinks in.

But damn, I want a G2 Erector. That color scheme would make a blind man flinch. Talk about awesome.

It was so funny to see everyone getting in on the Ghostbusters jokes. Every single time the words "crossing the streams" was mentioned, Ernie Hudson started to smile.

I tell you, I needed this. I've been needing it since November. I feel so much better now; I just wish it hadn't ended...