Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Pet Food Recall

As most of you now know, there's been a huge pet food recall, affecting both cat and dog food. Usually, this sort of thing doesn't affect me.

Then, I read the newspaper this past Sunday. One of the recalled brands was
Iams.

I occasionally give my cat a pouch of Iams wet food as a treat. Needless to say, I panicked.

Prime checked the remaining pouch of food we had in the pantry. It wasn't part of the recall. I dug out a pouch of chicken flavored food that I bought recently. Prime checked that one. With a serious look on his face, he told me to get the empty pouch of salmon we had fed Sammy two nights ago.

As it turned out, the salmon pouch was okay. The chicken was not; it was part of the tainted batch. I could have inadvertently fed Sammy something that could have sickened or killed him.

I pretty much lost it right then and there. I started crying. Prime managed to calm me down, but he was pretty upset, too. We were damned lucky. We dodged a potentially fatal bullet.

Sammy's fine, thank heavens. His appetite is great, he's full of energy, and just as goofy as ever.

The pouch went back to the store. I figure if I'm going to treat the cat to chicken, it'll be the real thing, not processed crap. I refuse to gamble with his health again.

No comments: