Friday, August 07, 2009

Permission to Freak Out, Captain?!

It has not been a good week. At all.

Yesterday, I got ripped off. A customer came through my lane with a buy one get one free coupon. No big deal, right? Well, it turned out to be a very big deal--the customer was buying a $3 bottle of shampoo and trying to get a $6 styling aid for free. Needless to say, the register did not let the coupon go through. When that happens, we're not supposed to take the blasted things.

Here's where it gets stupid: the head cashier overrode the damned thing because the customer threw a fit. Why is this a big deal? The customer is an employee!

It's one thing when it's some random jerk off the street who's trying to scam you. It's entirely another when the person trying to scam you frickin' knows better. Or at least, they should know better. (That dull thudding sound you hear? It's my head slamming into the nearest wall.)

Today was no blasted better. The alarm didn't go off this morning, so Prime and I had to bust our skidplates to get ready. (Didn't really help Prime all that much, unfortunately.) Then I got to work. And it got interesting.

At 1:40, I was ringing up an order for a pair of female customers. As I bent over to grab one of the items on the belt, I heard one of them say, "Are you all right?" It seems while I had my head ducked, one of the women had wandered over to register five and slipped. She was now on the floor near the bagging area.

One of the other cashiers managed to flag down a head. It took a few moments, but management came up, got statements from the customers and got statements from me, the other cashier and the head who contacted management. Oddly, though, 'moments' was too long, and one of these women mentioned (snottily) how if this had happened in Target, people there would have been over to help them quick as a blink.

Doesn't that sound, if you think about it for a second, a little suspicious to you?

Yeah, I was a little bit freaked out by the whole incident. I couldn't wait to get my butt home. At least I have a Human Alliance Bumblebee to cuddle up with. I think I've earned it.

--Weasel, "Can I freak out now? Please?!"

2 comments:

Methusalen said...

Man, it irritates me when customers do that kind of crap, but the fact that it was an *EMPLOYEE* throwing a tiff about it? I'd have told them to **** off since they should darn well know better!
*facepalm*

Go enjoy your HA Bumblebee, and I hope your weekend was a heck of a lot more relaxing!

Weasel said...

Yeah, that bugs me to no end. She should know, simply because we both work there, that management could get their knickers in a wad over that. (The funny thing? She likes to use the self checks when I'm on them and she always buys beer. Wonder if I should start carding her...?)