Sunday, January 29, 2006

Twists and Turns

It's starting to really hit me: I'm buying a freaking house! Prime and I saw someone about a home loan on Friday; I swear to Gods I have never signed and dated so many forms in my life. No one has tried to contact us since then, which is a good thing. It means things are going smoothly. If someone did try to contact us, it would be because there's some sort of problem. So as of this moment, so far, so good. On the work front however, things are getting pretty interesting.

It seems I'm not the only one who has a problem with the Sow. One of the other cashiers, "T", is pregnant (not sure when she's due). T mentioned to one of the other cashiers that she hoped she wouldn't gain a lot of weight during her pregnancy. T said if she got as big as the Sow, she would "kill herself". What T didn't know is she was talking to one of the Sow's many friends, or Piglets as I call them. The Piglet made a full report to the Sow and it seems T got into a shitload of trouble over her comments, as in she got some sort of management coaching. But that's not the half of it.

Apparently, a group of cashiers was sitting at one of the tables in the breakroom. Someone piped up that they thought the Sow was a bitch. A couple of people agreed. The entire group (we're talking anywhere from five to seven people) was hauled into Ad office and given a stern warning. It appears a Piglet over-heard the conversation and tattled to our favorite female porcine. Yep, she's got little piggy ears all over the store.

This is why I no longer sit in the breakroom proper; I opt to eat my lunch in the old smoking lounge. Very few people sit there, so there's little to no chance of getting caught up in someone else's bullshit. Trust me, I know first hand just how bad the bullshit can be in the employee breakroom. However, I may have a way out.

One of our former associates who transferred to another store came by on Saturday. "S" is now working in fabrics and crafts. The store she transferred to happens to be in the same city as the new house. According to S, they are hurting for cashiers. She said I could do a lateral transfer and keep my current pay, but also get the hours that I want.

It's very tempting.

There is only one thing that is holding me back: we haven't closed on the house yet. The very second that ink is on the paper, though.....

--Weasel, trying to get out from under the Sow's little hooves.

No comments: