Friday, December 17, 2010

Brat'ja

Wednesday, as I rang up yet another order and stared blankly at the piles of groceries and Christmas presents that were stacked in fron of me, the questions started to swirl about in my head yet again.

Why did she keep me? What makes me so damned special? Why didn't she keep him instead? Why the hell did I get to stay with my actual family and not my brother? Why?!

My throat began to close and my vision blurred. I had to silence my thoughts or I would have burst into tears while standing at my register. Worse still, a song began to run through my head, namely Brat'ja from Full Metal Alchemist. It's completely in Russian and the lyrics can be found here. You're warned: it's not a happy song. But then again, Full Metal Alchemist isn't exactly sweetness and light.

Normally, I can only stand the original version of a song but as of late, the English version has really resonated with me. The lyrics strike a cord and I catch myself singing them softly under my breath.

I'll be honest--when I heard the last verse of the English version, I nearly cried. It was like a slap to the face.

I'm living through survivor's guilt. And it's eating me alive. I keep asking why in the name of Primus I was the chosen one and I don't have any answers. I just keep hearing Edward Elric's voice telling me to get up and walk, that I've got two good legs and should use them.

And he's right. But it's so hard to keep walking sometimes.

So where do we go from here?
And how to forget and forgive?
What's gone is forever lost.
Now all we can do is live.

1 comment:

Weasel said...

Oh yeah, got the box last night. And thanks.

The stupid thing? I feel like I should apologize to my brother. I really do.

I know, I know. It's stupid. But a part of me can't help feeling it isn't exactly fair. He came first, so a part of me thinks it should have been him and not me that stayed. It's completely fucked up but that damned voice in my head just keeps saying, "Why the hell are you so special? You're not! He should have stayed, not you!"

Trying to ignore that voice has been difficult, if not impossible. If I'm stuck behind a register it really starts to scream. And I can't drown the little bastard out. Prime tells me that sometimes I just have to stop thinking about it, but the only real respite I get is if I'm on self checks. When I'm thereI can occupy my mind but I haven't gotten them as much as I'd like lately.

Self doubt can be a horrible thing. My self esteem hasn't been the greatest but this is really screwing with it.

My friend Shawn said back in November that if he had to deal with something like this, it would probably shatter his psyche. Yeah, he was right about that.

I'm going to go throw myself into one of my notebooks. Writing seems to help; I can lose myself, which is rather nice.