Thursday, December 10, 2009

Aftermath

So, the storm's gone. We actually have some sunny weather for once. Cold, but sunny.

I called my parents last night, so they would know that we're not forced to build igloos in order to survive. Talked to my mother and since there's no delicate way of putting this, I'll just come out and say it.

She's been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Yeah, it hit me like twelve tons of bricks, too.

It's stage zero and the cure rate is 99% which is damn good. But still. This is one of those things that's supposed to happen to someone else. But when you think about it, you're "someone else" to somebody else.

I'm surprised I'm even up and blogging about this: my first reaction this morning was to roll over and sleep the rest of the damned day. The only reason I'm doing this is if I don't keep my mind occupied, I'll just crawl back into bed, yank the blankets over my head, grab Slumblebee and start sobbing. Which of course, serves no real purpose. It might make me feel better, though.

This also means I now have a family history of cancer. Again, if there were some actual functioning and affordable robot upgrades, I'd trade in this meatsack in a nanosecond. Who's with me?

Suddenly those damned pink ribbons and that Pinktober stuff doesn't look so frigging ridiculous.

....fuck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about that On a slightly different note, you can imagine what went through my head when my namesake, my uncle Marden, died in '05 from a heart attack at age 56. :(

Talk about adding insult to injury...not only is one of most beloved & influetial family members gone, I now have to live with the fact heart disease is in my family...along with diabetes, which took my maternal grandmother away. The one who raised me for the 1st 7 years of my life...
~daiAtlas
"We SHALL overcome!"

Weasel said...

This is why I'd love to have a robot body: if something wears out, just replace the part. No harm, no foul.

I think what's bugging me the most is that damned 1%. Sure, the cure rate is almost 100% but it isn't 100% and shit can still go wrong.

Yeah, I could scream. Wanna join me?