Sunday, June 20, 2010

BotCon Memories: On the Streets of Durham

Several years ago, I had to return to my old home state. It wasn't exactly by choice.

Back in 2001, BotCon was held in Durham, NC. Granted, I had taken many trips to the neighboring city of Raleigh, but I had never gone to Durham once.

After BotCon 2001, I could see why.

The following is a true story. I am not making this up in any way, shape or form.

As our usual, Prime and I were rooming with our friend, DA, but we also had another friend crashing with us, a guy who goes by the handle of Leemur, who is also from NC and has an accent thicker than mine.

He found a little something in the street that was the talk of our room for days. After we had all settled in our room, Leemur looked out the window. Not five seconds later, I heard him say, "Wut the hell?!"

Curious, DA and I headed over to the window and peered outside. After a few moments of silence, one of us (and I'm not entirely sure who) asked, "Uh, am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?"

In the middle of the street directly below our hotel was a faint white outline. You've probably seen something like it if you've watched Law & Order. Yeah, it was one of those outlines. It was the chalk outline of what appeared to be a dead body.

Now, I had a few theories about it. It could have been:
A) some poor schmuck who had been inadvertently hit by a passing car,
B) some poor schmuck who had decided to end it all and jumped from the roof, or
C) some poor schmuck who died via a hail of bullets or getting stabbed.


...yeah, I guess there weren't really very many possibilities. In any case, it was creepy as hell. And very ghetto, as DA said.

I don't remember much else about our stay, except I went on all of our food runs as I had no difficulty with the temperature and the guests that year were awesome. It was just too bad that the city itself sucked out loud.

--Weasel, "And people wonder just why in the hell I left..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Durham...almost a decade later, that scene still feels to me like something out of a horror-comedy. Many people to this day cannot believe it when I tell them either! ;)

I REALLY need this getaway. Can't wait to rendez-vous with youse 2 soon.:)

~daiAtlas

Weasel said...

That's another story that gets a lot of laughs with my friends at work. I also use that as a "this is why I left NC" story. Why the hell would I want to stay in that state?!

One of my friends has said he didn't even stick around for that 'Con. He grabbed his slag and left because NC was waaaaaaay too damn ghetto for his liking.

You have no idea how badly I need this. Work has been a pile of slag lately and I need to forget about it, if even for a few days. I need the recharge.

And DA? Prepare to get hugged! Just warnin' ya! XD