Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day Three

Got up early again today (technically yesterday, but I digress); the Hasbro Studios panel was due up at 10. Got in, listened and got a few insights on the upcoming Transformers: Prime animated series that will be hitting the Hub in the fall of this year. We got to see Optimus, Megatron and Bumblebee in both 'bot and vehicular modes ('Bee's a muscle car/Camaro, which is freakin' awesome!) and we learned a bit about the cast.

Frank Welker is Megatron.
Peter Cullen is Optimus Prime.

When that panel was over, I asked the studios guys for some autographs and asked the a quick question concerning the show. If you don't want to be spoiled, do not highlight the following text:

I asked them if Bumblebee would be speaking or not in the show. He will not. He will be mute. Again. So no VA for Bumblebee, it would seem. But they'll be handling it differently than the movie and I'll probably be able to accept it pretty well. I really hope so.

After this was the Hasbro Marketing Review and Q&A. Lotsa interesting stuff, but most of it we've all seen/known about. After that panel was done, I zipped up front, got some more autographs and asked Aaron Archer a quick, rather goofy (and severely nerdy) question. Don't want to know? Don't highlight:

During the previous panel, one of the studio guys said that the different Transformers characters have different Cybertronian astrological signs. This was info that Mr. Archer knew. So I asked. Technically, it isn't astrological signs as much as it has to deal with their DNA and how they descended from the original Thirteen. This part of their history/back story will be revealed over the next few years and at later dates. Yes, I am very intrigued. If I can hear anything else on Bumblebee's cyber-genealogy, I'll be one happy-ass geekbot!

Prime and I stuck around for about half of the Activision panel, then we decided to head down to the dealer room and do some wheelin' and dealin'. We got ourselves some nice ass swag, ran into a friend or two and just had a blast. We headed back up here to our hotel room, chilled for a bit then ran down to the Hall of Fame dinner.

There was drinking, dining, and some weird ass mystery veggie that was on my plate but I freaking ate it anyway. So much fun. After dessert was served, we got the real party rolling.

We were treated to a group of short videos detailing both the Transformer and human inductees to the HOF. The first Transformer featured? Only the absolute best. Yep, my sweet little baby, Bumblebee. The vids were set to music and Bumblebee's "song" was You're the Best from The Karate Kid. I admit I've always liked the song, but now I love it like you wouldn't believe. Just hearing the chorus puts a giant grin on my face. And no, I was not quiet at all when I saw that vid. With all the screaming I did during the ceremony, I won't be able to talk for a friggin' week. Oh well...

After the known inductees received their honors, the Transformers fan pick was revealed. We had been given five choices: Soundwave, Grimlock, Shockwave, Jazz and Dinobot from Beast Wars. The winner was:

DINOBOT!!

When that announcement was made, I literally jumped out of my seat, screaming and pumping both fists in the air. Out of those five, I really felt that old Chopperface deserved the honor. He was one of my favorites from the Beast era and the main reason I utterly and absolutely adore velociraptors. (Seriously, I love the buggers. I used to hate them but now I think they are so damned cute it isn't even funny. I even have a little pewter statue of one that's on the prowl. Sooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!) Yes, there was much merriment to be had.

After the main ceremony, Greg Lombardo, one of the bigwigs from Hasbro let us in on a dramatic reveal: we already had the dates/location for next year's 'Con.

BotCon 2011
June 2 through 5, 2011
Pasadena, California

We're goin' back to Cali!

The site itself is live, but don't even bother with trying to reserve a room at the Sheraton. Prime called the place and reserved our room (he was the second person to do so, if I recall correctly), then proceeded to tell everyone that the site wasn't up so here's the number to call.

The entire damned block is now sold the hell out. Awesome work, Prime. At least we have our room for the event in question. And we have about a year to save up. Hell, we'll be able to book our flights sick ass early!

I actually dread tomorrow a little. It's the last day of the 'Con. On top of that, DA will be leaving in the afternoon. That's something I really don't want to think about. (For the love of Primus, DA, do not get choked up. We will flood the damn Dolphin if you do!)

Yeah, trying to think happy thoughts here. Don't really know how much good that's doing.

--Weasel, "I won't cry, I won't cry, I won't cry... ennnnhh, I'm totally gonna cry..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[Late report] All in all, not a bad day. Going to panels, wandering around in the dealer room & meeting familiar faces; some which I've know since '96.

The cocktail reception was fun, what with Prime feeling better enough now to have a Miller Lite, you having a hard lemonade drink & me with a bay breeze. =)

The meal at the dinner was food. As for the robot and human inductees, I was truly astounded that Dinobot won. His persona was that powerfully written for a non-G1 character tohave an impact on Transfan culture like that.:)

We Transfans flood Mr. Cullen with so much love and respect that this must be an extremely humbling experience for him. How does the man sleep at night? ;)

As for BC '11 again in Pasadena, CA, I am glad Karl Hartman (& others) have a bias towards the Los Angeles area. Once again, I felt elated, like after last year's party at Paramount. :)

I feel so fortunate to be part of a special group of people (Transformers fans) that get to have an event like this. Being a geek truly does have its rewards. Wouldn't youse 2 agree? :)

~daiAtlas

Weasel said...

Ah yes, all of us gettin' our drank on... so much fun! For some odd reason, Prime looks normal holding a beer. Maybe that's just me.

I'm still not totally sure what in the slag the mystery veggie was, but since I'm still alive, it wasn't anything toxic. And I'd love to know what they used to bread that chicken; it was amazing.

I was happier than slag that Dinobot got in. He's one of the main reasons I loved BW back in the late '90s. I might be biased, but I really felt he deserved the honor more than the others. And their times will come. Shockwave, Soundwave, Jazz and Grimlock are too slagging popular not to get honored.

It only took 26 years, but Bumblebee finally got props. You wouldn't believe how proud I was, knowing he was inducted.

I don't know how Mr. Cullen copes with the burden he has. He voices someone who is a hero to so many people. I can't even imagine what that must be like.

I've noticed something as I've gotten old; embracing my inner geek has made me so much happier. All those normies out there don't know what they're missing. :)