Friday, June 25, 2010

Day Two

Had to get up pretty early today; the Club Store opened up at 8AM today and I didn't want to miss out on the Sharkticons set. I was up at 7:15 and out the door about twenty minutes later.

The line was still insane. I got the Sharkies, though.

I headed back to the hotel room, dropped off the Sharkies and relaxed for a little bit, then headed to the panel rooms for a couple of panels. First up was TakaraTomy.

Yoke-san struck me as a bit sarcastic at times, which was pretty awesome. We now know why the G1 Constructicons were green (it was Hasbro's idea) and the story behind Optimus Prime (which Yoke-san asked us never to repeat, so I won't) and various other cool facts. After that was done, it was time for Mr. Bob Budiansky.

Again, very interesting. Apparently, there were two names circulating for Bumblebee: Bumblebee and Goldbug. It seems the "upgrade" name's a bit older than I thought. And it would seem that Spike Witwicky predated the name Buster when it came to the comic. Again, really interesting.

And Mr. Budiansky is officially my god. He wasn't really sure if he created Bumblebee but said he'd take the credit for it. That makes him god. ;)

After those panels were over, I headed back to the hotel room and rested for a little bit. Prime was still crashed out; he didn't come along with me for anything today because he still feels like slag. (He seems slightly better right now and I can only hope that he's up to running around tomorrow.) Our friend Shawn dropped by and asked if we still needed the KissPlay Sparkbots and we said yes, so he nabbed us a set. DA and I headed down to the dealer room at 2 for the "private experience". Prime stayed here and dozed.

The very first thing I did in the dealer room was run to the back corner and take pics of the Bumblebee statue and Camaro. It's a dealer's Camaro but I really don't care.

I got to sit in the Camaro. As in, behind the damn steering wheel.

I completely dorked and asked Bumblebee permission before I got inside. DA snapped a pic of me and when I stepped out, I thanked both DA and the car! (Got a pretty sweet pic of DA lookin' chill behind 'Bee's steering wheel. Good times, good times.)

After that, me and DA did a bit of training at the Autobot Alliance Academy. I have never dorked so much in my freaking life. Before we go in for our training, we have pictures taken and get briefed. The woman who briefed me told me I could only shoot Decepticons and no Autobots. She also noticed my shirt and asked, "Who is that on your shirt?" I replied, "Bumblebee." She warned me not to shoot him and I said I wouldn't even dream of it. She also told me not to make out with him.

Oh Primus, I turned Autobot sigil red! I guess everyone knows that I'm a flaming robosexual now! But it was a freaking blast, believe me.

I also ran into mine liege. There was laughing and hugs and other such dorky things.

I wandered around, snagged a Galaxy Force Megalo Convoy and a pair of Bumblebee tee shirts from Stylin' Online. Not a huge haul, but very satisfying.

I also took a look at the Hall of Fame display and took a few pictures. As I was snapping a shot of a rather unusual Bumblebee RPM, I read the type on the bottom front of the backer card.

HASBRO EMPLOYEE EXCLUSIVE

Oh yeah, I nearly shit my pants when I saw that. I took a couple of really good shots of the front and a nice one of the back before I wandered away to cry.

As I walked away, I saw Aaron Archer. So I figured, what the slag, I'll asked about that 'Bee.

No chance of a retail release, natch but it seems there was anywhere from 50 to 100 of these little guys produced. If you worked at Hasbro, you got one. Basically, there was a sticker on the back with the recipient's name, no bar code. Unfortunately, Mr. Archer liked his way too much to ever part with it. (I do not blame him at all. It is a royally sweet toy.) I thanked him profusely for the info and told him I can work as a slave whenever Hasbro needed. Just pay me in Bumblebees and I'm good. XD

I headed back up to the hotel about 45 minutes before the dealer room closed. I managed to show Crazy Steve and Karl Hartman the shots of Exclusive 'Bee. As I told them both, it kinda makes me wanna cry. But I'm not terribly worried. He will be mine. Oh yes, that little Exclusive RPM Bumblebee will be MINE! :cue evil laugh:

I'm just chillin' here in the hotel room right now. Prime and I have eaten and we're watching NCIS on USA. (Quick tip: If you're staying at the Walt Disney World Dolphin, your best bet for food is Picabu. They are very reasonable and the food is pretty damn good.) Tomorrow's going to be a full day: lots of panels, autographs and the Hall of Fame ceremony. I'm going to scream my head off when they induct Bumblebee. Just letting everyone know in advance.

--Weasel, "Only took 26 years before my baby got props. So yeah, I'm gonna be a little hyper..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[Late report]. Still unbelievable that Prime's unwell...hope he has energy to at least get out and about. It'd be a crying shame if the entire convention weekend he stays like this...:(

I do hope those pics and video files of you and 'Bee arrived well in your inbox, Silverwynde. Thanks for taking my pic. It's priceless!

The Autobot Alliance Academy was a lot of fun, for all purposes, it was stress therapy & what I wish I could do with some of the morons I deal with at work...;)

~daiAtlas

Weasel said...

The Autobot Alliance Academy was a freaking hoot. I don't know who I enjoyed shooting more; that slagheaded Megatron or that piece of scrap Barricade. I shot two jerks who went after my baby! I have defended Bumblebee's honor! XD

Tell me about it. If I had a Nerf gun and five minutes to shoot the hell outta some of the idiot customers (and stupid management) at work... :evil grin: